We are all creative by nature; it’s in our DNA to innovate. We were born to write, draw, paint, build furniture, produce music, etc. Each of us has an innate tendency toward creativity (even if we don’t see ourselves as particularly creative). The problem is we’ve been led to believe—through our early experiences—that we lack creativity. As a result, we go through life with our lights dimmed due to past experiences that made us believe falsehoods about who we are and what we’re capable of.
Well, I’m here to tell you that you are CREATIVE, you are UNIQUE, and you have something SPECIAL that only you can bring to the world. And what’s more, the world is a lesser place if you don’t bring that uniqueness to the surface. So the question becomes: How can supercharge your creativity? Like anything else you want, it requires a plan. Nurturing this quality is like goal setting, and goals require a blueprint for achievement. Here’s how you can supercharge your creativity in just one year.
1. Begin With The End In Mind
Based on your desires, what are your creativity goals for the next 12 months? Knowing what you want is paramount. Without a clear destination, how can you possibly know what your next action step will be? When setting goals, it’s important to follow a framework; a proven structure that guides the goal-setting process. Here is a simple outline that can help—this is referred to as the SHARP method
- Specific: There is a part of your brain known as the Reticular Activating System (RAS). This mechanism is what causes your mind to “hone in” on the things that resemble or are in alignment with your desires. And the best part? The more specific you are about what you want, the more this mechanism is activated.
- Healthy: Your goals must be in your best interest. Many times, people have desires that aren’t good for them. So determine at the outset what goals would be most beneficial to you from a physical, mental, psychological, and creative standpoint.
- Action-Oriented: Do you have a plan for achieving your goals? If not, this is where it’s time to develop one. Your goals must have actionable and practical plans. Moreover, you must become action-oriented to reach your goals. Planning is great (and necessary), but without action, all the planning in the world becomes useless.
- Reachable: Are your goals reachable? Do you feel they are attainable? You must feel they are within your reach. If not, your dreams become unconquerable and you will lose faith and give up before you arrive.
- Purpose-Aligned: Do your goals align with your purpose? Are they supporting your overarching vision for your life? For your creativity to flourish, your aims must be aligned with your purpose and consistent with your values. This is how you create alignment with your head and heart while also developing the best of your creativity.
2. Start With Your Why
Start with your WHY. Ask yourself: Why are these creative goals important to you? How will reaching your aims improve your life? Think of your WHY as the fuel to your fire that will reignite your enthusiasm on those down days. Compelling motivation is a necessity for overcoming obstacles that will inevitably present themselves to you. When the WHY is strong, the HOW becomes clear.
Here are a few ideas to help you uncover your WHY:
- Ask yourself thought-provoking open-ended questions
- Reflect on your (past and present) wants and desires
- Journal about your intentions to explore your reasoning behind them
- Think about past achievements and break down what drove you to accomplish them
- Contemplate what this new change is really about for you
3. Identify Potential Obstacles
If you can name it, you can tame it. When you can identify potential obstacles, you can plan for them accordingly. This process reduces their power over you and, as a result, increases your power and effectiveness to stay the course. Now, there are two types of obstacles:
- Internal creative-related obstacles
- External creative-related obstacles
Both of these must be addressed. At this stage, you’ll want to list all of the potential obstacles that may occur as you start your journey to supercharge your creativity.
4. Take An Inventory
Take a full inventory of your internal and external resources. When you identify your resources, your sense of empowerment will grow exponentially. Why? Because you’ll learn you have much more at your disposal than you originally thought; this will empower you, making you feel emboldened on your journey. And this sense of empowerment will lead to execution.
5. Do A Creative Gap Analysis
Your current level of creative skill will determine your current level of creative outcomes. Better creative outcomes demand better creative skills. So, you need a clear idea of your creative gaps. This will bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be in terms of your creative output. So ask yourself: What additional creative skills, tools and resources do you need to cultivate to help you reach your creative goals? Here’s how you can take your gap analysis:
- Get clear on your creativity goals
- Set a date that you’ll achieve these goals by
- Examine your current situation
- Determine what must be done to bridge the gap
This simple process will help you to see what’s missing in your creative strategy. Moreover, it can identify where changes and improvements need to be made in your approach.
6. Consider Your Next Steps
The key to success (in any undertaking) is massive, consistent action. So if you want to see improvements in your creativity, map out what steps are required in the next 12
Months to begin moving you closer to your creativity goals. Write these steps down. And begin taking massive consistent action toward their attainment.
Are You Ready To Create Your Creativity Growth Plan?
You can completely transform your creativity in just 12 months. However, it does take preparation; moreover, it often requires the assistance of someone who can help guide you through the process effortlessly. At Certified Flourishing Coach, we are experts who help businesses and individuals Flourish through the power of evidence-based coaching.
We can help with everything from Business and Entrepreneurship to Creativity and Wellness. So if you’re ready, contact us today to learn more!
About The Author
Abe Brown, MBA, CMCT, CPHSA is the Coach’s Coach, and is an Entrepreneur, Professional Speaker, International Best-Selling Author, and High-Performance Leadership Coach. He is the founder of Certified Flourishing Coach™, the Flourishing Life Coaching Program™, and Flourishing Workplace. Abe is also the author of the Certified Flourishing Coaching™ Programs.